It's Blog Action Day, a day for bloggers to post about environmental issues. Within the wedding blog community, however, it seems like it's been blog action week, as many have already taken the challenge issued by ready2spark: share how you are trying to minimize your impact on the environment.
DIY Bride took on the challenge today, and invited others to "tag" themselves. So I thought I would. Here are four things we currently do to help the environment:
- We've made efforts to have a more energy-efficient home (admittedly, my husband gets the most credit here). About 3/4 of the light bulbs in our home are energy-efficient ones, and we'll continue to add more as our regular bulbs burn out.
- My husband installed an automated thermostat that adjusts the temperature based on times that we are either normally not at home or in bed. This eliminates wasteful energy used on over heating or cooling our home when we don't need it.
- We use energy-efficient settings on both our washing machine and our dishwasher.
- We do our best to coordinate our schedules and car-pool into work on the days we both are going into the city.
- WeddingsInABox offers links to invitations not made from trees.
- Toast and Tables has information on green registries.
- Etsy Wedding also showcases some eco-friendly invites.
- Style Me Pretty shares some advice from Eco-Chic Weddings.